Day 7: Copenhagen to Oslo By Ship

photo.JPG

Cell phones, iPads, and laptops. They're everywhere over here. It's amazing how tchnology has changed over the years.  When I was a college student in Madrid years ago, it took two hours for the operator to place a call to the U.S., yet just the other day I was exchanging instant messages on Facebook from an island in Denmark with my friend, Beth, in Massachusetts.

This morning we traveled by ferry and train from Aeroskobing to Copenhagen to catch an overnight ferry to Oslo. While David tapped away on the iPad, I was engrossed in some books on my Nook. It is so handy to be able to download books and magazines. Owning an e-reader is new to me and before leaving home I finished reading Maeve Binchy's Minding Frankie. I was actually mad when the book ended because I knew I might have to wait a year or so to read the next adventure of these Irish characters. Sadly, on the morning of our departure I read that the author passed away. I haven't been able to bring myself to read an earlier Maeve Binchy book I downloaded for the trip.

Looking around the train, people are using technology everywhere. Behind me is a man watching an American movie with Danish subtitles on his laptop. I have been told that the fact English movies and television programs are not dubbed, explains the extraordinary command the people have of the language here. Across from me, a young woman with long pink neon nails and jet black false eyelashes that look like felt, has been texting. Life is different these days.

Once  in Copenhagen we headed over to the port. Unfortunately  we spent 20 minutes walking into a deadend construction zone through puddles. Feeling defeated at our attempt to save money by walking, we hailed a taxi for a two minute ride.  Our ship, DFDS Crown of Scandinavia, is really nice. Our room in the Commodore Class has expansive views from the window, a fruit basket, and welcome aboard small bottles of champagne.  Out our window leaving Copenhagen, it's clear the Danish are into environmental technology. Many wind turbines turn gracefully out at sea.  We turned on the television and were surprised to find a channel with a GPS to show our exact location.

photo.JPG

Dinner tonight was a buffet with everything from fish to vegetarian salads. We sat with a family from Denmark who told us about their life there.  The couple has been married for about four years.  The two boys, both young teens, were related to dad, who was divorced.  He was from just outside Copenhagen; the stepmom was from Jutland.  Both parents had a good command of the English language.  Their bilingual ability put us to shame as we were able to utter but one word in Dansk, "tack" - thank you.  Come to think of it, however, it's not at all a bad word, given the enjoyable pleasure afforded us over dinner.

Right now it's 9:00 pm. Dinner is over and people are heading out for the shows. We'll post our blog in the wifi zone and check out the entertainment too. We'll be disconnected from the world for the night, but for now that's okay.

photo.JPG

Comments

Teacher Hoyt said…
I love how you compare the olden days with the new. When John was on cruise in the Navy he would call me every few weeks when they got into port and 5,000 sailors would rush off to find pay phones!
Those windmills look great out there with the sailboat!
CoachSparky said…
It is really interesting to think about how technology has changed the art of traveling. I am always impressed by your ability to fill your days with activities and then blog about them the same day with well-written entries and beautiful pictures.

When I studied in Madrid for a semester in 1998, I remember coming back with over 30 rolls of film that needed to be developed and only being able to see my pictures for the first time over a week after I returned to the US.

In 1998, blogging did not exist so I wrote mass emails to communicate with friends and family about my experiences and adventures. The group of 40 kids I studied with had access to 6-8 computers at the school and we were allowed to sign up for 30 minute chunks of time. The computers often froze when emailing so it was important to write out long messages by hand beforehand so you did not lose them. There was certainly no way to attach pictures!

Cell phones were not very common and you mostly saw them living in cars or they were much bigger than they are today.

Traveling for over two and a half weeks with a EuroRail pass to three other countries and numerous cities, I remember spending countless hours looking out the window and viewing the beautiful landscapes. At that time, no one traveled with a cell phone or laptop and e-readers would have been something Marty McFly discovered far off in the future in Back to the Future 2.
Explorer Bear said…
Karen, That must have been quite a stampede with everyone rushing for those pay phones and you probably didn't get to talk very long either.

Beth, I actually think people have a more scenic ride on the train if they don't pay for wireless on it so I think you had a better experience than some might today glued to their laptop
Laurie said…
I feel like I am on vacation with you. What an awesome trip! It is interesting about technology. Didn't have my cell phone in Quebec and I felt like I was going through withdrawal.

ENJOY the rest of your adventure!!!!
Explorer Bear said…
Hi Laurie,
Thanks for following my blog. I don't have a cell phone here either so I know just how you felt in Quebec.

Popular Posts